Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship (SGS) was established in 2005 by Shanghai Municipal Education Commission to enhance the development of international student education in Shanghai and encourage more outstanding international students to study in Shanghai. SGS provides financial support for international students who pursue the bachelor's degree or higher degrees at higher education institutions in Shanghai.
SGS is divided into two categories: Type A and Type B. Type A is full scholarship which includes the tuition, accommodation expenses, living expenses, and comprehensive medical insurance expenses for a specific schooling system and applies to students pursuing the bachelor's degree, master's degree, doctoral degree, or in the preparation stage of their undergraduate education. Type B is partial scholarship which includes the tuition and comprehensive medical insurance expenses for a specific schooling system and applies to students pursuing the bachelor's degree, master's degree, doctoral degree, or in the preparation stage of their undergraduate education.
Scholarship recipients:undergraduate, Master's, PhD and Pre-Bachelor's
Term of scholarship: the school years specified in the Acceptance Letter
Funding criteria: Subject to current scholarship criteria of SGS.Please visit:http://study.edu.sh.gov.cn/apply/.
1.For both Type A and Type B scholarships, students are exempted from the tuition for the normal schooling system.
2.For both Type A and Type B scholarships, students are exempted from the comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
3.Accommodation expenses: For those who are awarded Category A scholarship, the university will provide free on-campus accommodation. Students living off-campus will receive monthly accommodation allowance: CNY 700/month for undergraduates and master’s students; CNY 1,000/month for doctoral students. Recipients of Type B scholarship must pay for accommodation as requested by the university.
4.Funding for living expenses of recipients of Type A scholarship: CNY 2,500/month for undergraduates; CNY 3,000/month for master's students; CNY 3,500/month for doctoral students.
Deadline for application: April 30, 2023
Time of enrollment: September 2023
Language of instruction: Chinese
lApplicants shall be non-Chinese citizens holding regular foreign passports, who shall be physicallyand mentallyhealthy and have the disciplinary background required for the program applied for. Those applying for the master/doctoral program shall also have research capabilities.
lApplicants of the undergraduate program shall meet the following requirements in terms of nationality: According to JWH  No. 12 Document of the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China and Article 5 of theNationality Law of the People's Republic of China,a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality. Such person, when applying for scholarships as an international student, shall have held a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for more than 4 years (inclusive) and provide the records of living outside China for more than 2 years from April 30, 2019 to April 30, 2023 (the actual residence outside China of 9 months or longer can be considered a full year, subject to the arrival/departure customs stamp). A person who has migrated from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan (China), when applying for scholarships as an international student, shall have obtained the foreign nationality before April 30, 2019 and provide the records of living outside China for more than 2 years from April 30, 2019 to April 30, 2023 (the actual residence outside China of 9 months or longer can be considered a full year, subject to the arrival/departure customs stamp).
lApplicants of the undergraduate program shall have an educational background equal to the high school degree in China and be aged under 25.
lApplicants of the master’s program shall have a bachelor's degree and be aged under 35.
lApplicants of the doctoral program shall have a master's degree and be aged under 40.
lChinese proficiency: Chinese Proficiency Test HSK5 210 points or higher
lThe GPA of the previous period of study shall not be lower than 3.0, or the average score of all subjects shall not be lower than 75 points.
lApplicants shall have no criminal records.
Step 1: Applicants shall log in to "Shanghai University of Sport - International Student Service System" (http://admission.sus.edu.cn) to register, fill in the application form, upload the required documents, and submit their applications, with the registration fee (USD 80 or CNY 500) paid online or remitted to Shanghai University of Sport:
Account name: Shanghai University of Sport
Account number: 033267-00881002983
Bank of deposit: Xiang-yin Sub-branch, Shanghai Branch, Agricultural Bank of China
Address: No. 650, Qingyuan Ring Road, Yangpu District
Please state the passport name of the applicant and "registration fee" when making a remittance. (An application will not be regarded valid until the registration fee is paid, which will not be refunded once paid.)
Step 2: Applicants shall log in to the website of"Study in Shanghai" (http://study.edu.sh.gov.cn/apply/). Note that the code of the enrollment institution of Shanghai University of Sport is10277.
Step 3: Personnel of the Office of International Students Services of Shanghai University of Sport preliminarily review application documents. Colleges organize online interview. The International Student Enrollment Leading Group shortlist program candidates.
1. One copy of your valid passport (The valid period of the passport shall be beyond September 2023. If your current passport does not meet this requirement, please replaceit with a new one in time.) Applicants currently living in the Chinese mainland shall provide a copy of the currently valid visa or the residence permission page.
2. One notarized copy of your graduation or degree certificate (If the original is issued in languages other than Chinese or English, please provide a notarized translated copy in Chinese or English.); if the applicant is a new graduate, please submit the originals of thecertificate of attendance and pre-graduate certificate presented by one's school (with the graduation certificate submitted later after the formal graduation).
3. One notarized copy of the school report for the highest education (If the original is issued in languages other than Chinese or English, please provide a notarized translated copy in Chinese or English.)
4. The original of the HSK certificate or any other certificate proving equal language proficiency which is valid within 2 years
5. Applicants pursuing the master's degree/doctoral degree shall provide recommendation letters in Chinese or English from two professors or associate professors, a research plan written in Chinese or English (with no less than 1,000 characters/words), tutor's pre-acceptance letter (if any), and previous research results/academic papers (if any).
6. One copy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form (of the past 6 months)
7. One video (MP4) with a length of less than 3 minutes to introduce yourself in both Chinese and English
8. Certificate of No Criminal Records or Commitment on No Criminal Records
9. Guardian's Guarantee for applicants aged under 18 as of September 1, 2023
10. Letter of Guarantee or Bank Statement proving a minimum bank deposit of CNY 100,000
11. Payment certificate of the registration fee
Majors under the Program
Please refer to the Enrollment Guide for 2023 International Undergraduate and Doctoral Student Program for the undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral majors provided to all international students.
Matters Needing Attention
● Submitting application documents by fax is not acceptable.
● The application will be rejected if application documents are incomplete or the registration fee is not paid.
● Application documents will not be returned whether applicants are enrolled or not.
lCommitment Letter of No Criminal Record
lForeigner Physical Examination Form
lTutor’s Acceptance Letter
Office of International Student, Shanghai University of Sport
Room 115, Building No. 4, Lane 531, Qingyuan Ring Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai, the People's Republic of China